Northland Power Europe GmbH (NPE), a Northland Power Inc. related company, is currently seeking a
motivated and professional individual to fill the position of Senior Manager – Commercial Asset
NPI is an independent international power producer dedicated to the development, construction,
owning and operation of clean and green power projects in North America, Europe, Taiwan and Latin
Our facilities produce electricity from clean-burning natural gas and renewable resources such as wind,
solar and biomass. Sustainability and the drive for ‘intelligent energy’ drives all efforts at Northland
Power. The Company defines ‘intelligent energy’ as the ability to meet present needs without
compromising future potential. Northland is committed to maintaining our culture of health and safety,
community engagement and respect for the environment moving forward.
NPE is a 100% subsidiary of Northland Power Inc (“Northland” or NPI) and acts as a European head
office and provides services as NPI’s offshore wind operations hub to NPI’s overseas offshore wind
projects. The NPE team also supports Northland’s global offshore wind project development work.
Northland’s objective is to continue to develop and implement its offshore asset management,
including operations, strategy and scope while adjusting for regional differences as needed. Our
business growth will require us to utilize the knowledge gained through our European project
experience to positively impact and support international development and construction of offshore
The Senior Manager – Commercial Asset Management, is an integral role within Northland Power
Europe GmbH (NPE) and a strategic role within Northland Power Inc (NPI) as it relates to the ongoing
development of Northland’s off shore wind operations and asset management strategy both for the
European assets and internationally. The successful candidate will lead and develop the Asset
Management team within NPE which consists of energy and business professionals including individuals
who provide asset management support to the local Operations and Finance teams in service to the
Nordsee One, Deutsche Bucht, Gemini, and other future Northland European projects as well as
operational performance, variance explanations and reporting of the European offshore wind assets to
the corporate office in Toronto. In addition, the successful candidate will provide strategic operations
and commercial support as it relates to future operations to Northland’s international development and
construction project teams.
The successful candidate will be an experienced team player who is comfortable working within a
matrix organization; they will have strong commercial, financial, and operational acumen plus the
ability to strategically influence and manage their own team while working with the international
development and construction teams with confidence.
This is a strategic role which will be based in NPE’s Oststeinbek, Germany office and it will require
travel (up to. 30% of time, depending on business needs) both within Europe and internationally
depending on business needs. The successful candidate will lead a capable and self-motivated team
providing strategic asset management and contract service support to our operating and development
projects. The candidate will be expected to have in place protocol and procedures which will allow them
to manage their team, at times remotely while supporting Northland’s domestic and international
This position reports directly to the Managing Director of Northland Power Europe GmbH who is based
in the Oststeinbek office while also being accountable to the Vice President of Energy Services & Asset
Management Northland Power Inc. based in Toronto, Canada. From time to time, the role may have
temporary reporting obligations to various Development and Construction teams.
Education, Experience, Skills & Attributes
- Ensure Northland Power Europe’s commercial support to the offshore project companies is managed as per the terms of the service contracts and governance in place with the project entities.
- Ongoing development and performance management of the NPE Asset Management team’s scope and mandate within the NPE organization including assessing staffing levels and skills. The team currently consists of 4-6 staff.
- Lead Commercial Liaison between the Offshore Wind Project companies with Northland involvement (currently Gemini, Nordsee One, deutsche Bucht and Hai Long), Northland’s Toronto office and the Northland Power Europe Office.
- Responsible for operations strategies in offshore wind Development and Construction projects.
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities.
- Working with Finance and operations, completes financial planning, budgeting, analysis, and reporting, long-term outlooks and financial business cases within Operations.
- Co-lead with operations the development of benchmarking and Key Performance Indices (internal and external) for use in asset management.
- Contract negotiation, renegotiation, management (term, compliance, and consistency), and optimization of contracts (Power Purchase Agreements, Supply Contracts, Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Customer Service Agreements) with support from legal resources.
- Customer/Partner/Supplier dispute resolution and support for claims management.
- Support of NPIs domestic and international offshore wind growth strategy by working with Development and Construction teams providing operation and asset management support.
- Post-Secondary education in business, finance, and/or engineering or a related field.
- Professional designation and/or graduate degree in business or engineering would be a plus.
- Minimum of 7 years of post-university experience in the Offshore Wind or Energy environment.
- Has demonstrated the effective leadership of a team and management of budgets.
- Has significant experience supporting and leading commercial contract negotiations with counter
parties as well as managing such contracts.
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to understand operational and business performance drivers.
- Ability to interface effectively with senior management.
- Exceptional decision making, negotiation, communication, and presentation skills.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to build and maintain strategic internal and external relationships.
- Exemplary integrity and teamwork;
The qualification and further education of our employees is an essential part of our corporate philosophy. In addition to other attractive conditions, we are happy to support our employees in their personal development.
If you believe the role is perfect for you, but you do not fit the profile 100%, we are still looking forward to your application.
For more information please contact:
Andrea Glückstadt, Human Resources
Northland Power Europe GmbH
Telephone: +49 40 4 66 66 62 79