Our accounting group, a certified CPA Pre-Approved Program Route (“PPR”) office, is looking for a business-minded, self-driven CPA candidate with excellent organizational and communication skills to join the team. We offer favourable compensation and benefits with excellent opportunities to develop your career.
The accounting group oversees internal and external financial reporting and plays an instrumental role in providing stakeholders such as senior management, operations teams, lenders and shareholders with accurate and timely information on the company’s financial and operational results on a monthly basis, as well as annual audited financial statements.
As mandated by the CPA Competency map, you will broaden your technical and business knowledge under Northland’s pre-approved program, which will provide exposure not only to external financial statements and management reporting, but technical accounting, hedging, risk management, budgeting, long-term planning, and strategy, amongst other opportunities over the course of the required 30-month practical experience.
You will play a key role to support the accounting, financial analysis and preparation of the Company’s quarterly Management’s Discussion and Analysis and Financial Statements along with other responsibilities. This position will report to the Manager of Financial Reporting and will work closely with senior management on financial reporting and other accounting matters. You will enhance your skills in problem-solving, decision-making, self-improvement and teamwork, amongst others.
By the end of the 30-month Program, you will be responsible for:
External Reporting (Financial Reporting competency)
- Prepare sections and supporting work papers for Northland’s consolidated Management’s Discussion and Analysis (MD&A) and Financial Statements on a quarterly and annual basis
- Conduct research on new and amended IFRS accounting policies and assess the impact to the financial statements and MD&A
- Support the analysis of accounting treatment for new IFRS standards and/or complex transactions (e.g. acquisitions, disposals, new contracts)
- Liaise with external auditors for quarterly reviews and annual audits
- Importantly, apply your judgment to proactively contribute to process improvements
Energy Trading & Marketing (Financial Reporting and Management Accounting competency)
- Support the Finance Manager for Energy Marketing in performing accounting functions, such as trade confirmations and trade settlements, as well as reporting on the performance of the Energy Marketing group
Internal Audit (Audit and Assurance competency)
- Assist in the evaluation and documentation of business processes, risks and control activities
- Evaluate accounting, financial, and other operating controls, and promoting effective internal controls over financial reporting and disclosures
- Once settled into the role, maintain a ‘continuous improvement’ mindset by challenging the status quo with the goal of improving current business processes and workflows
- Your goal is to continually optimize your work, reduce effort required to create capacity in order to continue add value to the team in new ways.
Education & Experience:
- PPR Program Requirements:
- Completed a business undergrad degree with a high GPA
- Currently actively pursuing CPA designation
- Preference to candidates who have written the Common Final Exam (CFE)
- Well-rounded individual and a motivated self-starter;
- Enthusiastic and positive attitude, able to take challenges in stride, and take the initiative to learn and try new things;
- Able to clearly articulate, write well, and get along with others;
- Analytical and inquisitive and not shy to ask questions;
- Organized, great at managing your time and prioritizing responsibilities;
- Advanced knowledge of MS-Excel (macros, VBA);
- Strong general computer competency.
To apply for this position, please forward your resume and transcript (unofficial) to careers@Northlandpower.com. Please reference the “Corporate Analyst” title in your email. When submitting your application, please include both a cover letter and resume.
This document is a guide. The duties, responsibilities, and requirements of the jobs as described herein are not inclusive and are subject to change.
Northland Power is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating a fair, inclusive and accessible environment. As part of our commitment we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify a member of the HR Department.